Many keen sailors are concerned about the state of the environment, yet most are unaware or uninformed about what they can do to ensure the least amount of damage to marine life or pollution while at sea. Fortunately for all of you nautical enthusiasts out there, the team at Camilleri Marine have gathered a few useful eco-friendly sailing tips to keep in mind the next time you decide to set sail.
- Cut down on single-use plastic. Choose packaging that can be reused, and buy food that doesn’t require wrapping which may accidentally end up in the water.
- Avoid toxic chemicals. Opt for products which do not contain or do not have too much chlorine or bleach. Additionally, check whether your engine needs maintenance in order to prevent fuel or oil into the sea.
- Slow down. Reduce your speed when navigating past sensitive areas that are known to be full of marine life. Mark any marine protected areas on your charts to avoid disturbing or damaging any natural habitats.
- Use non-disposable drink containers. Instead of single-use plastic bottles, keep a Thermos flask with reusable cups with you.
- Don’t use plastic garbage bags. Opt for biodegradable alternatives such as cloth which can be used over and over again.
- Never dump waste into the ocean. Store any rubbish on-board and separate all objects into glass, metal, paper and plastic. Like this, when you disembark, you can easily dispose of them in their appropriate recycling containers.
- Make sure objects aren’t blown away by strong winds. Store any items to be recycled in a safe, protected place, one that is not exposed.
- Get involved. Try and encourage marinas or harbours you regularly visit to offer recycling facilities if they don’t already have them.
Ready to begin planning your next sailing holiday? Remember to keep these eco-friendly sailing tips in mind, and help keep our oceans clean and free of waste! Have a look at our online store where we offer plenty of solutions for reusable storage, including storage bottles and tanks for waste-water. We also provide cabin furniture, electric accessories, inflatables and more!
Remember to follow us on Facebook for more updates.